In 2010 the FDA had to actually tell American consumers not to swallow bleach-containing products. The FDA's acting commissioner, Dr. Ned Sharpless shared: "Ingesting these products is the same as drinking bleach." He adds: "Consumers should not use these products, and parents should not give these products to their children for any reason."
The FDA's words concern items which use such names as MMS; Master Mineral Supplement; Miracle or Master Mineral Solution; Chlorine Dioxide Protocol; and Water Purification Solution. Usually, they are made of a solution of sodium chlorite together with distilled water, along with instructions for customers to add citric acid that transforms them into a potent bleaching agent.
The sellers make the blatant unproven claim that the result is an antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiviral "cure" for hepatitis, cancer, the flu, autism, AIDS, and other health problems.
Drinking the highly questionable solution is almost exactly the same as consuming the active ingredients in disinfectants and may very likely cause vomiting, severe dehydration, and nausea.